How to set up Google Places: a Checklist
Setting up a Google Places listing for your business can be accomplished in a few simple steps. There are a few things that you will need in order to accomplish setting up your Google Places listing. You must have a google account. You will also need to collect primary business information such as your address, a business phone number that does not ring to a switchboard, and any logos or business photos that you would like to add to your listing.
- Go to http://www.google.com/local/add/businessCenter and log in with your Google Account. (alternately, you can start by going to maps.google.com and clicking “claim my listing” on your already listed Google Local page.)
- Select “add a new business >>”
- Follow the steps to add your business information. Be careful to enter your information correctly.
- Please note that when adding your phone number, Google will verify your business by calling that number and providing a PIN number for verification. It is advisable not to use a cell phone or a number that rings to a switchboard.
- To fully optimize your listing, add descriptive keywords to the “Description” field and select appropriate categories where your business will be listed. If applicable, also list your operating hours and method of payment. This will make your listing appear complete and give customers the information they are looking for.
- Adding Photos. Add photos of your business location, popular products, and any official logos of the business. TIP: upload the logo you wish to be displayed as the profile picture last.
- Adding Videos. If you have company videos on YouTube, you can attach them to your business profile. Be careful that the YouTube account contains only company videos. Google will pull external content into your listing from other sources on the web as well.
- Additional Details. Include these if possible. This will include more powerful keywords that will be associated with your page.
- Verify your business listing. You can verify your listing by phone or by postcard. Phone is optimal as the postcard is often lost in the mail and takes a long time. Google will call the phone number on the listing and provide a PIN number to enter for verification purposes. The process should take less than 5 minutes.
- That’s it, you’re done!
Image of the postcard that Google sends as verification if you cannot verify via phone:
Further optimization can be done by returning to your Google Places dashboard and clicking on the “Offers” tab. Use the editor to add a coupon or special offer to your listing. This coupon may also be used by Google in other places around the web and is highly encouraged.
For other questions about optimizing your Google Places page, contact us.